Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hey guess what? I knit hats!

As you know, a lot has changed in my life over the last year and a half or so. I have divorced, started a new relationship, and am currently experiencing a daughter hitting crazy-ass teen hormones hard!

I also, shortly after moving into my 'Century Home' I had the pleasure of dealing with mice, ridiculously cold floors, and the realization that this is the first time I am actually in charge of everything in my life.  That along with my amazingly loved yet crazy kid and my every growing relationship with Adam, life has certainly had it's high points.

But being blessed with Selby and Adam aside, this past year and a half has had it's really low points. Both my mother and my daughters God-Mother were diagnosed with cancer. Last week we just said goodbye to Heather, Selbys God-Mother. I am hoping that I have many more years before I have to say good-bye to my Mom. Sometimes thinking about it it gets very hard to deal with.  So I needed an outlet.

Interestingly enough, around the same time I moved into 'The Shire' (what we lovingly refer to the house as), I re-discovered knitting.

I have re-taught myself to knit, through sheer determination and with many, many midnight references to Knitting Help dot com, I have re-learned knit, purl, yarn over, circular knitting, and my favourite...short rows. I am engaging in a thousands year old technique and for the first time in my life I am truly loving a hobby. Moreover, I am STICKING TO A HOBBY.

However, I had an epiphany last night. I realized that I really only like knitting a certain item. But before I go on let me back track just a titch. I have about 5 or 6 different UFO's at any given time. Right now it's a sweater, a pashmina like cover-up, some socks, and a couple others that do not mean enough to me to bear mentioning. But if you ever look in my travel knitting bag you will always find that I am knitting the same type of garment...a hat.

I LOVE KNITTING HATS!!! Fun hats, silly hats, chemo hats, kids’ hats. I am sure that it has something to do with my attention span being that of a 5 year old boy. Sorry but I have had both a daughter and a step-son...the girls have WAY more attention at 5 years of age than boys do. But back to the hats...

I am currently working on a Mohawk Hat, a Viking Hat, a Dead Fish Hat, a Camo Hat (for sweet nephew Ashton), and finishing an Old Dear Hat I will give to someone over the age of 75 for Christmas.

What about the epiphany Tina? Gosh!!!

Well, it is this; I knit hats so I think that this blog will follow me in my exploration of knitting hats. Quite simple really. And aren’t the most delicious and exiting things in life the ones that are so completely succinct?

Yet another fork in the road of which I have I have made a decision on which route to take. I am enjoying myself immensely...I hope my travels will give you a smile.

~ Tina-Marie

No comments: