Thursday, May 14, 2009

My puppy love

Charlie Tuna is the best puppy ever. He is funny and he is sweet. He has his own brand of humour. He is dumb. Lord is he dumb. But he is warm and fluffy and will always wake up to cuddle with me in the middle of the night if I've had a bad dream.

He is 7 whole years old and he still can't tie his shoes. Not that I put him in shoes. Well, not out in public. NO SERIOUSLY, I do not put shoes on my dog. I do put a coat on him in the winter though. And a rain coat in the summer. Trust me, there is nothing that smells weirder than a 14 pound wet Cock-a-poo.

He is my first 'lifer'. Never had a dog from puppy to adult, and I assume, on to the next phase of his journey in this universe. Man, I don't even want to think about that. So I will instead think about how ridiculous dogs eyes always look in pictures and how soft his hair is.

Okay, alright, I know sticking the paper crown on him probably didn't make him any happier, but his eyes just look so darned EVIL. Freaky eyes do not do Charlie Tuna any favours since his eyes already look a little demented without the glassy reflection going on.

Conversely, he can look like he has no eyes at all when he is over-grown and needs to go to the groomer. In fact, when I think about it, he gets more hair-do's during the year than I do. But that is because he gets his claws stuck in his hair when it's too long. Which got me to thinking about those people who knit sweaters from their dogs hair. Seriously, there are even books about it at: http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Dog-Hair-Better-Sweater/dp/0312152906#

That is just creepy weird. I mean, think about it. Would you shave your partner down on a regular basis and use his or her hair to make a sweater? There is something seriously wrong with that line of conservation. Turn the heat down sure...but at least break a buck and buy the stuff that is SUPPOSED to be made into a sweater. Like a sheep or an alpaca. NOT the family Basset Hound.

Maybe I am being too harsh. Charlies' hair really is soft and fluffy like a lamb when it gets long. Maybe I should try it and make a sweater. Hmmmmm....a 14 pound dog that gets his hair shaved 3 times a year would mean I would have to save his wool for about 9 years.

Naw...I would rather just go raid the Internet for some lovely soft wools of non-puppy kind. I think Charlie would be happier with that decision too.

~tm

No comments: